Friday, January 9, 2009

risks

I have had this quote in my bathroom the last week or so and have read and thought about it often. I have heard it before, but it has really made me think about myself and life lately.
Now, I know that I need to give credit to the quote where it is due. However, I often find a quote I like but may not know the person it's from or agree with their life choices or think they are amazing people. I just like their words.
But right now, to me, it doesn't matter because this quote has made me reflect on my life and on others, it has made me reflect on the times we have in life to learn and grow-whether they are hardships or good times- they all make us learn and grow.

"And then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-Anais Nin-

Risk. An interesting word. Not usually a word we associate with feeling comfortable. Usually risks are painful. But that's what's so interesting to me about this quote- and about life - sometimes not taking a risk is more painful than the risk itself.
Like the risk of never putting oneself out there to meet new people. Or the risk of telling myself I can't do certain things. Or the risk of not letting a friend or a family member know how much they mean to you. Or the risk of not knowing my Savior in this precious time that I have here on earth. So this is one thing I want to work on this year- taking the risk to blossom rather than experience the pain of not growing.
And along with the growth, there will be times when the sun beats down on me so hard I just want to stop. And the rain and the snow is so cold that I will feel alone and my heart will want to turn cold as well. But I know that my Creator will not abandon me. He has created me to withstand the elements and provided a refuge through His son, Jesus Christ. I was created to blossom and He will help me to do so, if I just trust in Him and take the risk.