Thursday, May 7, 2009

creating

Dieter F. Uchtdorf said: "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.
Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty...
You may think you don’t have talents, but that is a false assumption, for we all have talents and gifts, every one of us.The bounds of creativity extend far beyond the limits of a canvas or a sheet of paper and do not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before—colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter.
What you create doesn’t have to be perfect. So what if the eggs are greasy or the toast is burned? Don’t let fear of failure discourage you. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you—whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside.
If you still feel incapable of creating, start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it."

As I usually do for the summer months, I have several goals that I hope to accomplish. While some of them seem so impossible (like fitting into my swim suit) I know that some are possible if I take the time to work at it. So this summer, besides my goals for reading certain books. I want to learn how to create. I have 2 specific things I want to learn.

1st. These adorable glass pendants. These are easy. I found a kit and ordered it. In a few days I will be working away.



2nd. These beautiful hair pins. Sooo CUTE! But I have NO IDEA how to make them. How do you get the fabric to be so cute and have that cute texture? Any Ideas? I would love to hear suggestions on how to get these beauties (besides just purchasing them off of etsy) :)

4 comments:

Hannah said...

i love these! and the quote was so inspiring. i'm not sure how you would get the fabric to be so perfect, but it's obviously melted, it think. can you burn the edges? or stick them in the microwave? kidding about the microwave, but some sort of intense heat would do the trick i think. please share your projects with us when you're done!

Luell said...

I love that quote too! You can do the pendants, they are simple. Have fun. You can do anything. I think you are totally awesome!

And We Sailed On said...

Hey I want to play. Let's do this together! I think they may not all be fabric - I think some of those are paper. WIth modpodge on it. I'm sure of it. Well not 100% but I could help you do it. You can dip the fabric in modpodge and then form and fold back and edges and let them dry and then after they are dry you can ink around the edges. I'll see if I can give it a try and send them to you. I want to make pendants with you - so fun! xoxo
E

And We Sailed On said...

ok I just looked closer at the photos. I think you can just run a stitch through the fabric and pull it all into the center into a circle. Let me give it a try.