Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Enrique's Journey

Just started reading this book today and am loving it (I am required to read this book for 2 of my classes this semester). It is so interesting and is about a boy who migrates from Honduras to the US to find his mother who came here to give them a better life. It is making me realize how corrupt Mexico is and it is a very interesting and fast read...so far. I have always thought of the trip from Mexico to the US, but not much of the trip from other countries through Mexico. Most people I talked to didn't want to relive their experience by telling all of the details, but I do remember some.
I remember talking to people on my mission about coming to the US. I remember them talking about riding on the top or underneath trains to get here and walking through the desert with no food or water. It always made me wonder if I would do the same thing also to give my family a better life- would I leave behind my 1 year old child, as so many people do and come here, not sure when I would return?
I listened to many cry about not knowing their children back in their country and only knowing their voice on the phone. Every milestone they came to was so hard on them- their child's birthday, their wedding anniversary, mother's day, the day they entered the US, etc. I watched as many marriages fell apart over the long distance- the spouse who was back home cheated on the other person here, or vice versa. I heard many tell of family or friends back home who took advantage of the money that they were sending. What strong people they are.
Too bad we don't live in a perfect world where they didn't even have to leave their country to find success somewhere else. But I am thankful for those I know who did- they have taught me so many lessons.
I think immigration and illegal immigrants is one of the most difficult political problems we have right now- and one of the most complicated- especially when you know some of those illegal immigrants.
If you ever want to know more about what they go through, this book is enlightening, humbling, and makes me appreciate what I have been blessed with.

1 comments:

Hannah said...

wow.

and i really like the addition of your "book shelf" to your blog!