Monday, March 8, 2010

a new start

This weekend Jake got a new desk. It wasn't something we were planning on doing, but he has been wanting an "L" shaped one for a while and since we recently got our taxes back and it wasn't too expensive, we got it.  Mostly I just wanted him to be happy since he is nice so often and lets me get a little thing here and there that I like. That usually adds up to his big things, so he definitely deserved the new desk.
I was worried about how we were going to rearrange our extra bedroom in this apartment. While it's not a super small apartment, it is only 2 bedrooms and both of us work from home so we both have a desk in the extra room.  But, it turned out great. We ended up getting rid of the shelf that goes on top of my desk to make more room and we switched locations too.

Here's my lovely desk. Yes, it is still messy and a bit crowded with 2 computers and a monitor, but it's great. (remember it's our first apartment. or, to quote one of my favorite movies)
"well, we dream on a budget here"
and the three best things about the new desk (after my husband being happy) are....(drumroll please)
1. hopefully he will actually use it and keep it organized with all the space he has. 
2.  I now have some more wall space! wait, you can't see it very well there. 
here you go:
do you see all that wall space? There's a good 4 feet there! (I bet you are about as excited as Jake was when I told him that) but, alas maybe my last 2 paintings that I have will have a home
 (as soon as they get a frame, which will probably be a while)

and.... the 3rd great thing about Jake's new desk is.........
My sewing machine gets his old one!!  I now have a very small corner that is my craft space. And it's spot for my sewing machine to sit so I don't have to get it out and put it on the kitchen counter when I have a project. Maybe now that it will be out I will use it more. 
At least it makes me want to use it now. The empty table has been calling to me all day to have something on it. And my sewing machine is the one thing that's shouting the loudest, "pick me, pick me!" 
As soon as I am done with work....

3 comments:

Hannah said...

eeee! i LOVE your craft space and totally covet it. I want my own craft area! I was hoping that once i stop working from home I could turn my desk into a craft station. I'm still dream' for now. Love it, kristen!

Hopeful Homemaker said...

Super cute! Way to go!

Ty, Steph, Bris, Big T said...

How awesome! your spare room looks so BIG without a baby crib, dresser, and camping stuff stacked everywhere! Looks heavenly!