Thursday, November 18, 2010

thankfulness

Lately I have been thinking of how grateful I am for my body. Not in a vain way, I am just grateful that our body allows us to function in so many ways, that it can heal and that we can learn new skills with our hands.

I read this in the book Little Bee yesterday and it beautifully described how we can be grateful about everything:
"...I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived. 
In a few breath's time I will speak some sad words to you. But you must hear them the same way we have agreed to see scars now. Sad words are just another beauty. A sad story means, this storyteller is alive. The next thing you know, something fine will happen to her, something marvelous, and then she will turn around and smile."

In this season of Thanksgiving, I hope we can all be more grateful for even the sad words and look at the beauty in everything. What are you thankful for?

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Hey! I'm totally in for the 12 days of Christmas thing, if you still need people. I'm not sure what I'm going to make yet, so I'll let you know when I figure it out.

welundell said...

I am Thankful for...Your Post!! Thanks Kristen! (p.s. I got your blog from the ward list, hope you don't mind!) This was just what I needed...today especially. See you Sunday.

And We Sailed On said...

I love the sound of that book.... what is it? I am thankful for endurance and the ability we have to survive through things too!