Tuesday, February 2, 2010

menu

I am not a good cook. I am not even a cook.  All growing up, I should have paid more attention to my mom making things and offered to help more, but I didn't.  Mostly because I wasn't interested (and obviously selfish).  I still am not too interested, but I am trying.  Seriously, cooking for me is equivalent to cleaning the house,  more like cleaning the house 10x.  However, now that I am done with school and just working, I am trying to improve my cooking skills.  I want Jake and I to eat healthier and have more money, which means me cooking every night and no going out to eat.
So, a few weeks ago I sat down and made a 2 week menu.  I went through some recipes that I haven't tried and wrote them on a calendar. Then I went through and made a grocery list.  I made a grocery list and then organized in into sections of the grocery store so that I would be more efficient when I went.  It worked! I'm sure I am not buying the cheapest things or anything like that, I rarely even look at the weekly ad like I should, but hey, it's called baby steps, right?
The 2 week meal plan was successful. And since they are all new recipes we now know which ones are keepers. (I am judging that off of what leftovers were eaten).  And I went and did another 2 week plan when that one was done- I have done it successfully for a month.  And it is so nice to have the decision of what to make already planned. If needed, we just swap what is on the calendar for a different day. But it is working, slowly but surely. Maybe by the time I'm fifty I won't hate cooking as much as cleaning the house 10 times. I bet it will probably be closer to cleaning the house two times. :)

5 comments:

Hannah said...

yay!!! good job!!! you know, this sounds exactly like our story, except it took me like 2 years to learn to do the weekly menu/grocery shopping. but being organized makes it so much less stressful. i'm so glad that you're hating cooking a bit less. maybe some day you'll love it!

And We Sailed On said...

Way to go! That is so funny, I would rather cook 10 or 20 times than clean! Wish you lived closer and I would trade you! ha!

Deidra said...

I've found that if I've taken the time to come up with the menu for the week (we actually do it quickly as part of FHE) that Chris will even start meals. He made me breakfast this morning, and I credit it to the fact that he knew what I was planning on eating. Might be lame that I'm home all day and he still occasionally makes dinner, but I'm not complaining! Hooray for meal planning!

Ty, Steph, Bris, Big T said...

Sorry....I totally found your blog via facebook. But I seriosly LOVE you. You are so funny! Love the blog, the projects, etc. Even the cooking stories! I think that you should probably help me get more in-tune with my crafty side, and I'll share some cooking recipes with you. Seriously, we need to get together. Hello neighbor? :0

Becky said...

My mom sometimes uses a website called "simply supper" (simplysupper.com???) that helps you pick your menu and then also makes the shopping list for you. She likes it when she uses it...you might like it too. :) The end.